Taguig City

Originally a thriving fishing community located along the Laguna de Bay shores, the city of Taguig is now one of the most important residential and business centers in Metro Manila. It is bordered by the following:

Muntinlupa City – south

Paranaque City – southwest

Pasay City – west

Cainta and Taytay – northeast

Makati City, Pateros and Pasig City – north

Brief History

Before the Spaniards came to the Philippines, Taguig was once a part of the Kingdom of Tondo which was ruled by Rajah Soliman. The city was one of the first territories that have been influenced by Christianity when the Spaniards took control of Luzon. In 1587, it was established as a separate town of Manila, which was still a province during that time. Taguig was then accessible through the Pasig River and connects it to Manila Bay and Laguna de Bay. Fishing was one of the main sources of livelihood for its residents.

When the Americans took over the country, Taguig was made into an independent municipality on March 1900. A year later, it was incorporated into the province of Rizal when Act. No. 137 was promulgated. In 1903, the city was merged together with Muntinlupa and Pateros by the virtue of Act. No. 942. The setup did not last long. Muntinlupa was made part of Binan just a month after the merger. In March 1905, Muntinlupa was returned to Taguig. After three years, Taguig was again made into an independent municipality. In January 1, 1918, both Taguig and Pateros became independent municipalities of Rizal.

It was during the occupation of the Americans that a sizeable part of the Taguig was made into Fort McKinley.  When the Philippines gained its political independence from the U.S. in 1946, the Americans surrendered control of the country but retained its hold on the military bases. In May 1949, control of Fort McKinley was finally turned over to the Philippine government.

In November 1975, Taguig was separated from the province of Rizal during the formation of the National Capital Region. In December 8, 2004, Taguig officially became a city.

Schools in Taguig

Districts and Barangays in Taguig

The city is divided into two districts and 28 barangays.

First District

  • Bagumbayan
  • Bambang
  • Calzada
  • Hagonoy
  • Ibayo-Tipas
  • Ligid-Tipas
  • Lower Bicutan
  • New Lower Bicutan
  • Napindan
  • Palingon
  • San Miguel
  • Santa Ana
  • Tuktukan
  • Ususan
  • Wawa

Second District

  • Central Bicutan
  • Central Signal Village
  • Fort Bonifacio
  • Katuparan
  • Maharlika Village
  • North Daang Hari
  • North Signal Village
  • Pinagsama
  • South Daang Hari
  • South Signal Village
  • Tanyag
  • Upper Bicutan
  • Western Bicutan

Business and Tourism

Taguig City is the location of Fort Bonifacio, a former military base transformed into a prosperous commercial and residential area. Fort Bonifacio, specifically The Fort Global City, has become an important location for both and business and pleasure, as office buildings, malls, bars and restaurants have mushroomed on this part of the city. The jurisdiction over Fort Bonifacio was once a major source of conflict between Taguig and Makati City. A ruling in the Pasig Regional Trial Court gave jurisdiction to Taguig for the whole of Fort Bonifacio.

City Government

Mayor: Sigfrido R. Tinga

Vice Mayor: George A. Elias

The featured image was randomly selected. It is an unlikely coincidence if it is related to the post.

3 thoughts on “Taguig City

  1. Thank you for sharing the information about Taguig City. I’ve never been to Taguig but base on your article it has a lot of history to see.

Comments are closed.